Monday, March 2, 2009

Castaway the days that run upstream through the past


Castaway the days that run upstream through the past Breathe touches ear and dreams you beside me. I’d like to float here for the rest of my life Like I did in a similar place a long time ago. Oh oh Ooh Ooh Although this deserves much more I don’t have the time to survive that place again. I want to hold your memory sacred But I’m growing older dissolvent unaccompanied It’s all frozen on a beach we visited once. On a whim. It sits in my mind just after a swim You walk up from behind and place your hand on my shoulder And we sit and look out at the sea. Ooh Ooh I’d like to float here for the rest of my life But I’m growing older dissolvent unaccompanied.

JOHN: This is the serious counterpart of the song We're So Tough.  The image of the beach as a threshold is a theme in both these songs.  Looking out at the sea, as we look at our relationships with others.  A threshold between the imagination (the Sea) and reality (the sand on the beach).  Imagination in We're So Touch is used as children use them, to create a world other than our own, Knights and Castles and mythical wars fought with household appliances, whereas Castaway uses imagination to hold in place a memory that can be revisited.  Nostalgia is more an adult activity.  This song is a reminder to myself to cherish those memories but not to exist only within them.

No comments: