Monday, March 2, 2009

On The Road In Between



Liz: Hello Sir ....how do you do?
Phil: I am fine.
Liz: Is there anything in particularly new?
Phil: Bice?
Bice: Yes Phillip?
Phil: Please show this beautiful young lady that new...

Liz: It was something so delightful
It was down right frightful adamant..... corse..... construe
I was thinking who would want it
Then someone took and bought this
I was furious and stormed out of the room.

Liz: Hello sir....how do you do?
John: I am miserable
Liz: Is there anything in particularly new?
John: Doubtfully not
Liz: Then I saw it
Boys: (Yes she did)
Liz: Then I saw it
Boys:(Yes she did)
Liz: I saw something so delightful
I saw something so frightful
It was ghoulish , caul .......obtuse
It was not far from my hand when a bird flew up and grabbed it
In awe I stood staring at the clue...

Liz and Gub: I was staring at a light falling into darkness
I was carving out the night crawling into darkness
I was starving alive standing in the darkness

Gub: Hello mam how do you do?
Liz: I don’t know
Gub: Is there anything in particular we could do?
Liz: Hmmm
You could wind up that jalopy
Drive out of the mohave
And get me to the station by noon.
It was so catoptric humiliating neurotic
I will definitely half to buy something new!!!


- Lyrics and music by Gub Conway


Gub - The thought of this girl needing to buy something but not knowing what to get turned into this song. I wanted her to be in this fantasy world of shopping. Where everything around her is unnoticed except for this unknown object, what happens to it, and how it makes her feel. When she realizes that this place is not real, all of her problems come out. They consume her. At the same time this fantasy world is trying to mantain its place with her. Giving her comfort from her problems and to keep reality at bay. It is sometimes hard to accept that you must confront your problems and solve them. Most of the time we all want to run away and hide. Pretend they do not exist and hope that they solve themselves on there own.

Phillip - This song is so "Gub". And that's a GOOD thing! I can't help but think of Bice's visual of 'Dracula on rollerskates' during the funky part! Ha, ha! This song was totally fun to record and always a repeat listen for me.

John - I think this is my favorite Gub song. It has a bit of acting, good song structure (strange too!) and you can dance to it. Having another songwriter in the band allows me to concentrate on parts that are not controlling the rhythm of a song. I feel I can be more creative with "guitar playing" when I haven't written the song. I decided to play this song through a DI, which I normally hate. But I remembered when I first got my old old four track years ago, and how I used to plug my electric guitar right into the unit without an amp. And I remember really liking that sound. When we tried it on this song, I immediately starting playing this disco-esque lead part, Bice and Phillip laughed. We then tried it with the song and it seemed to fit in wonderfully. Like Phillip said, it truly made all of us picture a vampire on rollerskates. I could even smell the dank, scraped, rubber floors that coat the roller rinks.

No comments: