Monday, March 2, 2009

A non-fictional account of my families rage with metaphorical implications


I’m higher than, I’m higher than the mounting range of my families rage. But I’m lower than, I’m lower than the highest resistance to hiding inside I can’t fight back, I’m too small for that. But when you see your mom thrown through a door, the lowest depths are stirred inside. I’m emotionally overwrought, existentially tied down again. Tied down again.
The fountainhead is spiked with glycerin I never know when the affects will finally kick in. The life I cleanse in could be the very one soaked in poison. Down I fall. I’m emotionally overwrought, existentially tied down again. Tied down again.

The highest stair at the very top where brother punched a hole right through the wall. I can see my dad putting his pants on his head, and its’ very sad. It’s very sad. And the accumulating haze during those final days was the highest point for the lowest rage. But we never spoke word or hugged til it hurt. We just tucked our heads and bowed right down. I’m emotionally overwrought, existentially tied down again. Tied down again.

The fountainhead is diluted by time. It wont kick in It’ll just swirl around. The life we cleansed in caused this calm and it won’t speak out, it won’t cave in. I’m emotionally overwrought, existentially tied down again. Tied down again. I’m emotionally overwrought, existentially tied down again. Tied down again. Tied down again. Tied down again. Tied down.

JOHN: This is the serious counterpart of Exoduses.  When Gub and I had early conversations about this record the idea of family came up often in regards to doors and thresholds.  It didn't seem a very concrete leap but it made sense to us.  We walk through many different doors in our lives and with a goodly some of them, while we are standing both inside and outside, we often wonder if this is leading closer or farther away from the selves we were when we were growing up, being influenced every day by family.  This song deals, somewhat obtusely, with the violence in my childhood, and how it has lead to a passive recognition of my siblings in adulthood.  Often I will be invited to friend's houses, and I am shocked by how much drama goes on with sibling relations, both above and under the table.  My family hardly has any of this conflict, I think our violent past has given us a calm in our shared present tense.  Although we are not nearly as close as most families, we are cordial and compassionate and have no use for passive aggressive behavior. 
I should also say that the music and melody was originally the backdrop for lyrics about bi-polar personality disorder.  That is why the melody and even some of the words left over have peaks and valleys, highs and lows.  This still seemed to work with the idea of rage in the family, flaring up and calming down.  Liz also took to this rhythm, and I think it showcases her ability to sing higher and lower than anybody I have ever met.

No comments: