Monday, March 2, 2009

RAPTURE IN THE THIRD PERSON

She’s tired of countless fights with her son, who is born once more but drunk again. Nothing wrong with feeling the sadness of life bleeding and needing repentance. But often words used against each other are only distractions for one’s own defense. He was drinking with money from her wallet and with tears in his heart. He cried out in fear, “It’ll be a lonely place in heaven when my family’s all in hell. You’re damned for all eternity. And there’s nothing more that saddens me. You need to be saved, or I’ll be lonely in heaven without you.”

Holy is the sinner sacred is the stone, drinking bloody holy water and stumbling back home. Damned are the loved ones who struggle in their lives, damned are the loved ones who struggle in their lives.

JOHN: It took me this song to express the anger I felt at my brother for making my mother very sad. I was surprised that recording this actually caused my anger to subside. I can't say that I will ever see eye-to-eye with him, but this did allow me to step back and remember the things I liked about him. And this purging produced one of my favorite songs I have written to date. I love the lead and harmony parts that Liz came up with, and I think Gub's grubby-man rap part is pretty incredible. Plus I think the song honestly expresses an opinion that people with born again friends and relatives can relate to.

No comments: